In home most people have long switched to LED bulbs. They are convenient and energy-saving. But for some reason motorists are in no hurry to use to LED bulbs. You see many benefits to using them. Of course, this is a saving. Its are much more economical than conventional ones. Secondly, you may recall less often about changing bulbs, and it will save your time. But not only saving time and money are reasons that we advise you to go to such headlights, but also other factors. First, it’s safety. You know importance to see a clean, well-lit road in front of you at night. Such headlights can produce pure light, you cannot get using traditional bulbs. With it, you will forget about poor visibility on the road.
Advantages of using
The using of such bulbs has many advantages. First, it is economy. Yes, they cost a little more than usual bulbs, but they also work much longer. If you’ve ever used its in a house, you know what it means. Its emit much brighter light than ordinary ones. So it gives you much better visibility at night. Universality. You can put such bulbs also in all the light-emitting devices in car.
- Light bulb selection. It comes in different sizes and styles. You need to know what exactly your car needs and purchase exactly the same, but LED.
- Preparation. Do not rush to immediately take off old headlights and screw new ones. First you should to prepare. Improper headlamp installation can cause a road accident. If the old ones are still working, you can use its to check how the new ones work. Park the car not far from a vertical surface. It can be a wall or a door. Turn on the headlights and mark the height of your headlight beams.
- Check packaging of new bulbs. Open the box with new bulbs and check it for damage.
- Take off the old headlights. Carefully remove the old headlights. If you have never done this before, work very carefully. Most lamps are removed counterclockwise. Do everything carefully, no sudden movements. If you accidentally break the lamp, pull out all the fragments. Make sure nothing is left inside.
- Install new bulbs. Remember to protect your hands. Rubber or cotton gloves are suitable. Carefully screw in the bulbs.
- Connect the Ballast. Do it as follows. One end connect to the new bulb, the other end connect to the original wiring harness. Look contact is not moving away.
- Check the Cut Off. Remember what you noted when you started work? Now you need to check whether the beam from the headlights matches the previous marks.
- Secure the Ballasts. Secure the ballasts in any convenient way.
- Test. Turn on the headlights and check its work. If it works, congratulations, you did everything right. Now look at whether the beam from the headlights coincides with the place that you early noted. If so, then everything is fine. Pattern and light scattering may vary, but the target must match.
When replacing automotive dipped-beam lamps, safety regulations must be followed. Halogen and xenon lamps contain high pressure gas. As a result of a blow or even just shaking, the bulb may explode. Therefore, such lamps should be handled with extreme caution, use safety glasses.
Be sure to check the condition of the headlights. The light should not blink or interrupt after installing new bulbs. If you are not sure that you installed them correctly, contact a car mechanic.
Not recommended taking the lamp with your bare hands, since the ingress of fat on the glass reduces the service life. It’s better to hold it by the cap. It is worth paying attention to electrical safety, since low beam lamps usually operate at high voltage.
Questions and answers
Do LED headlights need a ballast?
All HID bulbs require a ballast, which is sometimes integrated. No LED bulbs require a ballast, although some are engineered to work with an existing ballast.
Can you put this lights in halogen fittings?
Yes, you can use it in your fixtures. The LED equivalent to the 50-watt halogen bulb will probably burn only about six or seven watts.
Do I need a transformer for LED lights?
Bulbs like that need a ‘driver’ to work good. Mains bubs have it in-built. If you are replacing existing incandescent 12V bulbs you will need to replace the transformer with a special LED driver.
Can you put such bulbs in any car?
Yes. You can install such bulbs in almost every car model. Pay attention to what shape and size you need and select the same. But during installation, make sure that the bulbs are in the same place as the traditional ones and the light beam emits from them in the same position.
Why do my LED lights burn out so fast?
Usually such bulbs shine for a very long time. Much longer than ordinary bulbs. If such bulbs burn out very quickly, there may be a problem not in the bulbs, but in connecting them. Check all contacts. Loose wires in the junction box of your light fixture can cause variations in voltage to your bulb. These variations act like miniature power surges that wear out incandescent, LED Bulbs and CFL bulbs. Sometimes these loose connections can burn out your bulbs in a matter of days.
Can I replace other light bulbs with LED?
You can replace all the lighting in your car with such lighting.
As you see, changing the headlights to LEDs is very easy and you can install it yourself. But be sure to use protective gloves before working with electricity. In any situation that seems unusual to you, immediately contact a car mechanic. In time, you change all the lights in your car with LEDs. And of course, test your headlights on a non-busy night street, important to be absolutely sure that your headlights are working properly before you go out on the road. First, you should think about road safety, and not about the savings that new headlights can give you.