It happens if the car’s battery runs out at the most inopportune moment. There is no way to charge it, and without the battery that delivers normal performance, it is impossible to continue your way. It is better to prevent such situations, but still it’s not a big deal to fix it.
You can easily charge the battery to use jumper cables and jump start it from another car. It is very simple and now we will tell you how to do it. This skill is a must have for any car owner.
Benefits of Using Such Cables
Using such cables, you can easily connect a dead car battery to a living one and in this way turn on a dead one. It is very simple and takes maximum 10 mins. The cables do not take much space and you can carry them in a car.
You can jump start a car from another car’s battery or from portable jump starter.
- First, park cars next to each other.
- As you will see, there are plus and minus terminals on the cable. You need to connect those autos to each other using cables. First connect the plus terminals on both cars. They are red.
- Do the same with black one.
- Connect black clip to an unpainted metal surface.
- Start an alive car.
- Wait some time. It should work some time.
- Start died car. If it does not work, wait a couple more minutes.
- If the car starts, do not disconnect the cables immediately. Wait 10 to 20 minutes. Keep in mind that batteries need to be recharged.
When working with electricity, even with such simple manipulations as connecting cables, you need to follow safety rules. Make sure that there are no children nearby who can touch those cables. Read your engine manual if you haven’t done this before. Some battery models may require different instructions and you have to remember that the main purpose of these cables is to transfer electricity.
It is also recommended to have safety glasses and use them when installing cables.
How to start a car without jump starter cables
To do this, you only need to find a flat road with a hill and raise a car on it. Ideally, if it will be a long road down. Then follow these instructions:
- Push your auto so it’ll ride down
- Release the clutch and engage the car in first gear.
- After that, turn on the ignition and remove your foot from the brake.
- Let the car roll down. In this time release the clutch .Engine should be turned on.
- If it doesn’t happen, depress the clutch and release it again.
If there is no slide, you can ask someone to push you and do the same.
How to choose a cable?
There are cables of various lengths and long ones are more convenient to use if the vehicles are far apart. However, they are not of the best quality, so we recommend to buy small cables. These ones have a sensor that shows strength. The lower the number, the stronger it is. The standard size is 6.
How long should it take to jump a car?
If the engine does not start, wait 10 minutes. Let the live engine run. Then try again.
Can a car battery be too dead?
Car may stop and not turn on, not only because of a discharged battery. There may be various causes for failure. Some have nothing to do with it. Test the battery first and see if it has a problem. Therefore, you can connect to another car using cables. It is not advisable to do it just like that, without confidence that it is in the battery that the cause of the breakdown is.
Can I spoil my car by giving someone a jump?
It is possible that such procedure will harm the living battery. Through the cable, all problems with the battery of the dead car will be transmitted to alive. New batteries protect against this, but there is a small chance of damage.
Is it dangerous to jumpstart a car?
Like any work with electricity, such a connection has some dangers. A dead battery may catch fire at any time. An emergency may occur. In addition, if you carry out the procedure incorrectly, you can harm the living battery. Therefore, always work carefully with wires. Watch for safety precautions and protect hands.
Therefore, always work carefully with wires. Watch for safety precautions. Protect hands and have a fire extinguisher in your car
Starting a car is very simple. Such cables should be in the arsenal of any driver. You can store them constantly in the auto and be sure that in unforeseen situations they will be close and at your disposal.